Identification & Background:
Project title: NanoID – Nanomaterials applied in the muscular rehabilitation of the elderly using Artificial Intelligence
Project code: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-046985
Main objective: Reinforce research, technological development and innovation
Region of intervention: Mainland Portugal
INOVA+ – Innovation Services, S.A. (Líder do projeto)
Universidade do Minho
IPB – Instituto Politécnico de Bragança
MORE – Laboratório Colaborativo Montanhas de Investigação – Associação
Pafil – Confecções Lda.
Nelson Azevedo – Terapias Globais Unipessoal Lda.
Approval date: 29-07-2021
Start date: 01-07-2021
Conclusion date: 30-06-2023
Total eligible investment: 1.405.485,10€
Financial support of the European Union | FEDER – 999.317,65€
The NanoID project aims to develop a rehabilitation shirt for the elderly (a wearable), based on smart textiles that integrate a set of sensors and actuators with multiple functions in terms of rehabilitation. The shirt, with a pleasant and ergonomic design, will be equipped with dry and flexible (nano)sensors based on thin (nano)structured films, with the ability to monitor various physiological parameters, namely body temperature, heartbeat and muscle electrical activity. The array of sensors/actuators of this wearable will be remotely controlled by specialized medical centers that, through an Artificial Intelligence system, interpret the data collected while rehabilitating the patient by sending electrical responses/stimuli aimed at specific muscle groups.
- Development of an array of dry multifunctional sensors for monitoring vital physiological signs (EMG, ECG and TCB), instantaneous measurement of static and dynamic acceleration, and sending functional electrostimulation (FES);
- Development of a long-lasting, semi-structural solid-state battery, structurally integrated into the smart textile, with a specific capacity close to that of conventional lithium batteries;
- Development of an intelligent textile for rehabilitation, using different materials and textile processes aimed at the integrability of the sensor array and the semi-structural battery;
- Design of solutions based on microelectronics for intelligent sensing. R&D of solutions based on Artificial Intelligence algorithms in order to allow the detection of fall patterns and electrostimulation techniques;
- Development of a software for the acquisition of physiological signals monitored by the jersey, with Artificial Intelligence algorithms that define the appropriate functional electrostimulation, and imminent warning signs of a fall, via the construction of analytical models.
- A1 – Previous Scientific-Technological Cooperation Studies;
- A2 – Development of an array of bio-signal sensors/actuators based on nanomaterials;
- A3 – Development of a semi-structural battery for powering sensors;
- A4 – Development of Microelectronics for the integration of sensors/electrodes;
- A5 – Design, manufacture and optimization of the prototype (integration of the sensor matrix and the semi-structural battery in the manufacture of the jersey);
- A6 – Biofeedback Artificial Intelligence Infrastructure applied to Digital Medicine;
- A7 – Prototype validation and in-vivo tests;
- A8 – Technological and Industrial Validation;
- A9 – Promotion and Dissemination;
- A10 – Project Management and Coordination.
Development of a shirt, with a pleasant and ergonomic design, equipped with dry and flexible (nano)sensors based on thin (nano)structured films, with the ability to monitor various physiological parameters, namely body temperature, heartbeat and electrical activity muscle.
Avenida Cidade de Léon, 506
+351 300 081 998
+351 300 081 999